Friday, January 13, 2012

Scintillating Scotoma

Some time ago I shared that an optometrist had told me--after I described a strange ocular symptom--that I was probably experiencing something called an ophthalmic migraine. But the headache that comes afterwards doesn't quite fit that affliction, so into the Internet I went. Behold! I have edified myself.

Turns out I am the type of migraine sufferer whose migraines are preceded by an aura. In my case, the aura is called a scintillating scotoma. I know this because some enterprising person has posted an image showing almost exactly what I experience when this happens. Here 'tis. The movement inside that "C" shape is actually more like waves, but the picture is very close. And for me it's on the left, just like the picture, regardless of which eye I cover (evidence that the thing originates in the brain and not the eye). It lasts about 20 minutes, and then the migraine is with me for a few hours.

Sometimes the Internet is my friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ive had the same damn thing all my life. Pretty. Thankfully I dont get a headache with it