Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sentences

I read about this hilarious writing exercise for exorcising writer's block. It's great fun. For 60 seconds, kneel before your computer or notebook and beg the universe to help you write the worst sentence ever written. I've taken stabs at it over the past few months. Paging back through one of my notebooks, I see several examples. Here we go. (I confess I've been foregoing the kneeling part.)

Rock, gravel, stone--these were hard things, very hard, but not as hard as the task she was about to attempt: she was going to walk right into the study and tell her husband Tom that his mother had to leave, as this house wasn't big enough for the two of them.

The sky was radiant blue, the kind of blue you see in pictures.

Today would be the day to start it all--all of it.

You are most welcome.

1 comment:

Alexandra Badea said...

citing without remembering the reference: " it does not matter if you write silly at first, as long as you edit brilliantly". Cheers for a good start and the joy of new beginnings!