Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Good Day

Yes! Lo! Hark! The trees and bushes are budding, and it's time to start the seasonal dance with the yard. After working on the bunny barn--I painted another coat on the door and added some more insect-screen panels--I went to work on the garden patch and the compost. A neighbor who recently moved out was good enough to donate two 64-quart bags of potting soil, which I mixed with our dark compost and some regular soil. I yanked out a wheelbarrowfull of weeds and then mixed in all the good shit, er, stuff and stirred it around some. It's ready for action.

In other news, I do like buying Maple View Farm milk (no other milk available in our area comes close to claiming grass-fed cows; Maple View feeds them part grass, part grain), but I get behind on returning those glass bottles. Today I turned in 5 of them at the Harris Teeter, carrying them in with great care (have you ever broken one of those fuckers? It's spectacular). I need to get some of those cute little plastic carriers, because even the bottle-clanking drive to the store was harrowing. Oh, about grass-fed. "Organic" milk need not come from grass-fed cows to be called that. My interest in grass is mostly about the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio, in beef products as well. Reminds me, Trader Joe's sells ground beef from wholly grass-fed cows. I made meatballs last week, and they were scrumtrulescent. Have you ever made meatloaf or meatballs with a pork/veal/beef mixture? Grass-fed beef has a strong flavor and tastes just like that.

Is it just me, or did Duke Energy raise its electricity rates? Oh, reminds me, if anyone can recommend a company to come and add attic insulation, I'm all blog-ears. I'm looking for one of those outfits that will drag in a big hose and blast foamy goodness into the attic. Ours is too thin and has been for years.

And, omg, guess what? Tonight's Applegate Farms beef hot dogs come from grass-fed cows. Woo hoo. The vegetable side is a casserole dish full of oil-and-herb-covered veggies that baked in the oven for an hour at 375 degrees: yellow squash, zucchini, Brussels sprouts, and carrots.

No comments: