Monday, October 4, 2010

Orwell

I'd years ago read and reread the standard 12 or 14 George Orwell essays in the mainstream canon, but lately I've been digging into some of his off-the-path essays and reviews. A brief 1940 write-up of a London performance of The Tempest begins, "If there is really such a thing as turning in one's grave, Shakespeare must get a lot of exercise." He has a lot to say about Henry Miller, whom I've never read, so I've added him to my list.

Oh, and yesterday I watched a silly thing called Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. It was like a substanceless 1950s sit-com. I don't think I've ever seen a Cary Grant movie with any kind of depth.

2 comments:

Dione said...

How right you are about George Orwell's lesser-know work. This is where his genius lies. Luckily for us, his writings are becoming more and more available. May I suggest that if, you've not already read them, you might enjoy Orwell's column for The Tribune, called 'As I Please'. There are some wonderful essays in there on every topic under the sun, and his dry humour spills out of them. There is, of course, that marvellous four-volume set collected by his last wife Sonia and edited by Ian Angus which is called 'The Collected Essays, Journalism and Letters of GO'. There are treasures galore to be found there.
Enjoy your journey of discovery. You will not be disappointed.

Bob said...

Ooo, nice Orwell site, Dione. Thanks for dropping by. I'm intensely curious: I had no links to anything Orwell in this post--how did you find me?