Monday, April 12, 2010

Poison Ivy

Today I ran into a friend who was covered with poison ivy rashes. He asked me for advice. I had none. As a kid I lived in poison ivy, and the memories aren't pleasant. Poison ivy is one of those afflictions that brings out scores of ideas about what's best for treating it: calamine lotion (though our pediatrician last year said not to use it--I can't remember why), alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, salt water, essential oil of newt pus. (Hee hee, just kidding. But wouldn't it be cool if that worked?)

6 comments:

Valerie said...

The latest thing I've heard is to spray on vodka. Although that seems a waste.

Gregg said...

Disovery Channel's Mythbusters tested vodka on poison oak and didn't find it helped.

girlnblack77 said...

I've found that if the skin isn't broken, dabbing on a bit of laundry bleach will dry it up before it spreads. For the already-scratched spots, I swear by Ivarest. It's about $8 for a tube of it, but the tube will last several seasons. They have a clear gel or a bandaid-colored paste. I recommend the paste because it works better.
Speedy healing to your friend.

Valerie said...

GNB knows what she's talking about b/c her kiddos have sensitive skin and constantly get in poison ivy. (Which is likely my fault, sorry.) And Gregg, hooray the vodka thing was disproven! Whew.

Bob said...

Ivarest. I learned a new thing.

CDRUSNRET said...

A doctor recommended to me (nearly allergic to the weed) "Domesboro"...a powder (at CVS or Walgreens) that when mixed with water takes away the itch and drys up the fluid under the skin. When all else fails, the doctor has that SHOT that makes it go away.