Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Words

Today I learned a new word: Fauxhemian. Cute.

I don't know if I've shared, in this "public" forum, a word I created: Fakestrovert (pronounced fake-struh-vuhrt). This is someone who's an introvert but through skill, persistence, and very hard work is able to be a temporary extrovert. The fakestrovert can be "on" for, say, an evening of entertaining, but when the crowd leaves collapses onto the couch exhausted and drained.

I shared this idea with some people, several of whom said, "Oh, that's me!" And so here's a very strict rule: this term may only be applied through self-identification. Only you know you. If you think you know someone else, you're probably wrong. And annoying.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

The first time I heard that some people are energized by being around other people, and not exhausted, I was astounded. Astounded.

Spelling G. said...

Same here!

Bob said...

I think youth is required for that. I remember feeling that way when I was, like, nineteen.

Valerie said...

I feel more energized and less exhausted every day. It's a process!

Ellen said...

This is me too. I can turn it on in the classroom or in social situations when I need to, but I need some time to decompress afterwards. I love this term you've come up with.