Friday, January 15, 2010

The Project

Emma and some friends met here at our house after school today to work on a science fair project. One of their parents had phoned me late last night to verify that I was aware of the plans he had only just sort of heard about. The kids made all the arrangements, including making sure parents wrote the appropriate notes for getting off with Emma at the right bus stop.

Sure enough, they showed up and set right to work. It's an experiment involving the microwave and three bags of Orville Redenbacher popcorn. They completed the experiment, started their write-up, and typed and printed labels for their display board. "When's the project due?" I asked. February 5th. Good Lord. I don't know where these children came from. At one point I overheard a brief discussion about what might be the most commonly used preposition. Honestly.